Donor Advised Fund
Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to Harvard-Westlake School and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
Using a Donor-Advised Fund to Make a Difference
Noel Hyun '02
Effective leadership starts with understanding the problem and working with a network toward a solution. I use a donor-advised fund (Morgan Stanley Global Impact Funding Trust, Inc.) to make my contribution to HW, thereby supporting a cross-sectoral leadership program led by the renowned CORO program. Through this program, upper school students explore the city and meet a wide variety of experts in their respective fields. They then work together to investigate and confront real world social problems in their community. Working collaboratively with their peers, this solution-oriented program equips HW's emergent leaders with the skills and hands-on experience to affect positive change in their networks through active leadership.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?Download My FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Jim Pattison at (818) 487-5471 or email@example.com to discuss using donor advised funds to support HW and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include HW in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Harvard-Westlake School
Address: 700 North Faring Road, Los Angeles, CA 90077
Federal Tax ID Number: 95-1644019
Support What Matters
Learn more about donor advised funds. View and download the FREE guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.View My Guide